Old
10-22-2012, 05:45 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubros View Post
It's possible, but I guess that's why CBAs have term limits: no one knows what's going to happen to the economy over the next 6-8 years. If revenues do grow more symmetrically, and all the teams are making out like bandits, it could be the players asking for a greater share the next time around.

Time will tell, but I'm hoping that 50/50 turns out to be a split that keeps the league competitive and healthy and the players happy. Maybe they'll just be able to extend the deal the next time around and we won't have to go through this again.
Are you suggesting that its due to economical conditions that revenues have grown at a greater rate in Toronto, New York, Vancouver, Philadelphia, and Montreal than Phoenix, Florida, Dallas, and Carolina? I think you've missed the point completely.

The top hockey markets have experienced high growth in revenues, while poor "experimental" hockey markets haven't. The expansion into non-traditional markets has hurt the league, and should be deemed a failure by now. Relocate some of those teams to better markets and now the gap between the top and bottom teams isn't as large. Only at that point will a linkage to macro revenues work decently.