View Single Post
Old
10-22-2012, 09:34 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
I don't see these promising farm prospects. I really don't. Our system, is not what it was 4 years ago. We have a couple guys that could be 2nd pairing dmen and 2nd-3rd line forwards. I don't think too much of our prospect core right now.

Richards s in his 30's. So in Henrik. I'm not an alarmist, i'm not Neil Smith. But I think that we need to prioritize each season with the intent of winning the cup that year. That means not standing pat at the trade deadline. (John Scott?) That means filling the roster with competition, even if it means bumping players down a line. We need to focus on getting ourselves the best shot at a cup, and not the best chance at being a 6th place team for 8 straight seasons.
I think you're overreacting a bit right here.

For one, I never said we had 1st line players or 1st pairing defensemen in the system. Frankly we don't need to. I'm fine with guys like Miller, Fast, McIlrath, Skjei, Lindberg, etc being 2nd/3rd line forwards, 2nd/3rd pairing defensemen. Why am I fine with that? Because we have 1st line forwards and 1st pairing defensemen. Especially in their prime 1st pairing defensemen. Nash, currently in his prime. Richards should be the only concern given his age of really dropping off. You mention Henrik, but this guy is an all world talent. Not to mention he is constantly in great shape. Goalies like Henrik tend to play into their late 30's with success.

The Rangers scouting department and management have done a fantastic job at the draft the past decade imo. Who's to say they won't draft another "Kreider" late in the draft in the next couple years? Yes I know we don't have our 1st round pick in 2013, but that's why we have Nash. They will continue to make good draft picks as long as they maintain their staff.

As far as the deadline goes, I don't know what you wanted Sather to trade for aka overpay for. It was a poor, poor market. Gaustad garnered a 1st round pick. You make a bad trade at the deadline you probably don't have Rick Nash right now. You'd rather have had them make an impulsive decision for average to mediocre players that were on the market. Let's see what's on the market this year. Maybe Iginla. And the year after that maybe St.Louis. Those are just examples obviously.