vCash: 500
For what it is worth:

The games between Team Canada and CW teams in recent years are as follows:

Dec. 14, 2004 Manitoba Bisons 4, Team Canada 2*
Dec. 15, 2004 Team Canada 6, Manitoba Bisons 3
Dec, 15, 2006 Calgary/Lethbridge 5, Team Canada 4 STORY
Dec. 15, 2009 Sask./Regina 4, Team Canada 2 STORY
Dec. 17, 2011 Team Canada 7, Calgary/Lethbridge 4 STORY

* The Bisons and excess Team Canada players combined in game 1 of the series.

A lot of old links I used to have for these games are long gone now.

In any event, the CIS teams go into these games right after exams. Not all players are available, and they have to chance to train. Some stories refer to players shaking hands in the dressing room so as to introduce themselves to one another.

And, Team Canada is WAY better than any individual team in the CIS. They take maybe 30 players to camp, from 60+ teams. Almost no team supplies more than one player.

I also found a CIS Blog story on Bob McCown.
Quote:
McCown mentioned in passing on his show yesterday that in his new book, McCown's Law: The 100 Greatest Hockey Arguments (written with support from Mr. Mirtle's globesports.com colleague, David Naylor), he argues that university hockey is the best hockey to be found outside the NHL.

I'm paraphrasing here, but McCown said something like, "There is plenty of evidence that a university team would cream an OHL team... in many cases you have some very good players who are 27, 28, 29 years old ... and no one goes to see it in this country."
There are seldom players in the 27 to 29 age range, but the point is made.

As for the mix of Major Junior and Junior A grads, the OUA teams do skew downward. The Manitoba Bisons' mix is:

Goaltenders: All three from Major Junior.

Defencemen: 7 from Major Junior and 1 from Junior A.

Forwards: 11 from Major Junior and 5 from Junior A, one of which is an NCAA transfer and another of which is a CIS transfer.

Of note, some of the Major Junior grads also had some time in Junior A, as one would expect.

Even the weakest CW teams have an entire roster of Major Junior and Junior A grads.

Last edited by Hollywood3: 12-12-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote