View Single Post
Old
10-22-2012, 10:15 PM
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
+1 to "learn how to skate before investing in goalie gear." If you enjoy skating, are improving at a pace that you're happy with, and still feel that you want to play goalie, then invest in the gear. But you probably don't want to sink all that money into the sport before you know if you enjoy skating.
This +2... I'm the guy in the other thread that turned Goalie from Skater. I've been getting a ton of compliments lately of people asking "Are you sure you haven't played Goalie before?" "How the heck are you a new Goalie?". It feels great! Well the reason I've caught on to Goalie so fast is my skating. I consider myself a great skater and that has converted over and helped me a ton. Don't get me wrong, I have A LOT to learn still but it's made a smooth transition. I could easily play a hockey game as a Skater on my Goalie skates. That's how comfortable I am now.

Go buy a pair of used Goalie skates, or new.. depending on your budget. Then hit up open skate, not open hockey. Skate around and get the hang of skating. Once you feel comfortable, then move on to the pads. It will be a big transition so don't be discouraged. Don't give up, it will come around and eventually your confidence will explode.

Good luck!

FreshNsoClean is offline   Reply With Quote