View Single Post
Old
10-23-2012, 09:39 AM
86Habs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
Anyway, on to Getzlaf. Like i said, its fine if you have him off. I dont consider him a lock but too say his style wont fit the big ice surface is probably a mistake to say. He is a top level NHL talent. His size on top of that NHL skill and poise and fitness might be better with more room to operate. Canada would probably not like to rid itself of all large players up front. If Jamie Benn and Rick Nash are the only two big guys... Im not afraid of Canada as much. We forget that Getzlaf was still very much dominant in the WJC 2004, 2005 and the WC in 2008 where he put up 14 points in 9 games. All international size rinks.

Just a point im trying to make that just cuz hes a powerforward, a large one, doesnt mean he may not be valuable come olympic time
Getzlaf scored 11 goals and 57 points last year (in a full season) - that's poor production for a scoring center, and is why I'm leaving him off. What he did way back in 2004/2005 at the WJHCs is pretty much irrelevant at this point, same goes for 2008 really. If he can get back to an 80+ point pace, then I believe they'll make room for him on the team because he'll be "on", and when he's on, he's one of the best.

However, at this point he's ill-suited to move to the wing, doesn't really offer anything from a playmaking perspective that guys like Crosby, Giroux, and Tavares don't, and probably wouldn't adapt well to a bottom six type of role - he's not known as a great PKer, is only OK on faceoffs (winning % of around 50% last time I checked), and the defensive side of the game isn't bad, but its not exactly a strength of his. He was great in Vancouver for us, but those were different circumstances and he was at the top of his game then. I think we'll move in a different direction, honestly.