Thread: OT: NHL vs. NHLPA
View Single Post
Old
10-23-2012, 02:39 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Yes that is what the owners have said year 1(this year) has a cap of 70 million which gives teams a year to trade/ buy out players and no roll back so players earn 100% of their contracts. The reason this is immediate help is that it lowers the basement so smaller market teams don't have to overpay free agents and restricted free agents to reach the cap. I agree that revenue sharing needs to be fixed as it is not working.

Other than the 5 year cap on contracts the owners offered what you are suggesting I don't understand how the players found it unfair.
Some of the teams that need the cap relief are already spending 50+ million this year anyways. Some teams that are supposively financially struggling are paying way above the cap floor too, so why would they do that when they knew the CBA was expiring? And then teams like Pheonix aren't going to be overpaying free agents no matter how low the basement is.

I think the whole system is unfair. It's a system that continually places responsibility on players salaries because some really rich teams are raising revenue while some teams are really poor and have to pay extra. The owners need to accept a cap trading system or luxury tax.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote