View Single Post
Old
10-23-2012, 05:03 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
So my random first thought in the draft is I think the jets will really like Nikita Zadorov. Big dman that plays a very physical game with a big shot. Shoots left too. If we could get a really good shutdown leftie to pair with bogosian I'd be happy. Of course it depends where we pick but I've seen him projected in the 10-20 range where I think we will likely pick
I am a big supporter of BPA, so if a D is the BPA in the Jets minds, we should take him. But if we have two guys ranked equal, I am hoping the Jets take a forward. We are flush with D prospects, and already have a fairly young D corps. We need some top end talent up front. We are razor thin at forward prospects, even thinner at potential scoring line forwards.

Not too mention, in general, I prefer going with forwards early in the draft. Forwards are easier to predict. Look at the top D, F, G in the league.

F=Crosby(1), Malkin(2), Stamkos(1), Giroux(22), Tavares(1), Toews(3), Kopitar(11), Spezza(2), Ovechkin(1), St. Louis(Undrafted), etc.
D=Doughty(2), Chara(56), Keith(54), Weber(49), Karlsson(15), Pietreangelo(4), etc
G=Quick(72), Rinne(258), Lundqvist(205), Thomas(217), Kiprusoff(116), etc

This is just a small smattering I assembled in a few minutes. The best forwards tend to cluster in the first round, the best D are a little more over the map, and the goalies are a random shot in the dark. It's why I prefer forwards in general in the first round (not a rule, just based on percentages it's preferable, IMO), and why I support shots in the dark like the Hellebuyck and Phillips in the later rounds.