View Single Post
Old
10-23-2012, 08:22 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
People shouldn't write this kid off yet, even considering the injuries. Some athletes go through this as they grow into their bodies. Look at Jose Reyes' career.

CDH has a very slight build, I tend to think that's the problem and not that he's simply "injury prone". Believe it or not.... he's still VERY young and has a lot of filling out to do. Patience
Write off, no. But they also can't continue pretending he is a solid top 4 in waiting anymore either. I am not sure I would point to a baseball player in comparison. How about Iafrate? A great pick, a great defenseman, completely unreliable as a roster spot due to injuries for all but three years, had to leave the sport in his early thirties but really was a non factor before he even hit 30. I tend to agree with you on this being his frame doing him in, and hopefully he can change that, but losing an entire development season is significant. A smart GM starts plans for this to be Calvin's future road and fill whatever hole he filled on future depth charts with some other body. IMO of course.

Chapin raises a good point about this being a real jog to those who didn't like him being drafted over others, like Kulikov, but I would still look at it separately as the injury history seemed to build post-draft. If there is a strong record pre-draft then yeah, shame on the Isles. That they made a mistake passing on Kulikov... I would still make that argument even if CdH was injury free.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote