View Single Post
Old
10-23-2012, 07:23 PM
frankthetank91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
acquiring players that can compete for roster spots but have never been regulars is something a team like the Oilers would do. A rebuilding team that wants to give their young players experience.

The Canucks are in win-now mode. They will try and maximize their chance to win within the next 2 years, while the Sedins are still under excellent contracts.

Because of that win-now mentality, along with the makeup of their current roster, I think a trade with Bozak-Colborne involved makes more sense than Kadri being included.

Bozak gives them a legitimate NHL caliber player to fill a top-9 role. Depending on how long the lockout lasts, he can cover for Kesler's injury, and then slide into the 3rd line spot once he's back. It gives the team a solid 1-2-3 to contend with this year (and 4 when you count Lapierre). While Bozak is on a 1yr contract, if he plays well (and his contract doesn't skyrocket) he can be retained, if not Colborne could step in the following year after spending some time with the club's development. Next year Bozak, Lapierre (and Malhotra) are all UFAs, all covering bottom-6 roles, while neither Kadri nor Schroeder are suited to fill that role (especially the way this team is setup).

Kadri I feel would be a wasted asset in this organization. He doesn't fit on this club in his natural role (top-6 center), while not being experienced enough to fill a key defensive 3rd line center role (sounds like a familiar situation, doesn't it?). If this organization was 3-4 years ahead (or behind) in their development right now, it could make more sense, but right now it's all about the Cup, and patience to develop talent at the NHL level will be limited, and on a team like that, who already has Henrik-Kesler down the middle, I don't see him being in a situation he can develop well in.

Bozak is one of a few Leafs players that would upgrade a spot on this team that could be available in a trade, and given that our biggest need right now is the #3 center position, he'd be a good fit in a trade IMO.

I also think that Kulemin is a player that upgrades our current top-9, though the need for a center is higher at this point.
Agreed which is why i'm confused why so many want the centerpiece to be a 1st if your in win now mode. Bozak+Colborne+? is a good base.