View Single Post
Old
10-23-2012, 08:19 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Kadri is more experienced than Kassian is. And he can fill in for Kesler as 2C, but putting him at the wing isn't as bad as you make it sound, most people I've talked to believe he is much better suited to it than centre, but maybe a knowledgeable Leafs fan can shed some light on that. The way you're talking you make it sound as though any player that isn't a grinder can't crack our roster. This isn't true, as we've seen with Hodgson. He wasn't let go because he was unsuccessfull, he was let go because of some kind of misunderstanding about the back injuries he suffered and how it was affecting his play. You're essentially writing off any offense-oriented third line centre, when we always complain about our lack of scoring depth.
I'm writing off any offense-oriented 3rd line center who's defense isn't good enough to play tough defensive minutes.

Yes we always complain about our lack of scoring depth (and about a million other things as Canucks fans). Doesn't make any difference though. We know who our coach is. We know his tendencies and what he expects of players in specific roles. Do you really think that AV is going to give Kadri much room to develop in a 3rd line role for the Canucks?

And I don't know how well he's played the right wing before. This is Kassian's natural position and he's being given a chance to play in his natural position with the Canucks. And given Gillis' pursuit of Doan, it looks like his plan is to have Kassian start on the 4th line with the Canucks - a role he can play given his size and style of game. Don't see Kadri fitting into a bottom-6 spot on wing, and don't think he's good enough yet in his development to be a top-6er on a contending team. I just don't see him pushing Higgins out of a 2nd line spot at this stage.

If he's can't provide a bigger impact now (not potential, but now) than Higgins (or Booth), he doesn't get into the top-6. And it's pretty clear the type of players AV wants in the bottom-6 - you need to either bring size/grit or be a strong defensive presence.