View Single Post
Old
10-23-2012, 08:20 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Yeah, but there's always been the option to get rid of Ballard if they really needed his space. If the Canucks managed to successfully get Weber I'm sure Ballard would've been on the first plane out of Vancouver. If Luongo retires at age 37-38 then the Canucks will be looking at 4-5 years of dead cap space with no chance of relief.

$5.3 million certainly isn't pocket change; it's probably the sum total of the Sedins, Kesler, Bieksa, and Burrows' home town discounts. I know I'll be choked if the Canucks lose the equivalent of that just because Bettman and a few owners don't like long term deals.
I don't think it is that big an issue.

1). Luongo won't retire until the $6.7m years are up (6 years 2017-18), and probably the $3.8m year (7 years, 2018-19). So it's closers to 7 years of play and 3 years of retirement. We have to survive 3 years at $5m below cap.

2) We have 7 years to plan for it. Losing $5m in cap now would be a killer, in the 8th year with a bunch of planning it won't be that bad.

3) Look at our team: H Sedin, D Sedins Burrows, Kesler (injury wear down), Hamhuis, Bieksa etc are all going to be burnt out or close to it by 7 years. We are going to suck outside of goal unless we find a whole bunch of talent from someone because there is no where near enough on the farm. Win while we can.