View Single Post
Old
10-23-2012, 09:34 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
It's not a case of Cambridge getting a team, it's a case of an arena being located in the midst of a surrounding area of multiple small cities that together could bring in a very large fanbase to support a team. And if Cambridge is in fact a relatively poor city, then the inclusion of a new arena that could draw people from all the surrounding areas would be an economic benefit, I would think.
Yeah but arena's just aren't for NHL teams, it's for other events, and Kitchener would be so much better for that. And to be honest, Kitchener has a pretty efficient freeway system, it takes about 5 minutes (Traffic permitting) to get off the 401 and into downtown, and if a new arena is placed at Budd Park which I think would be the best, that's also like a 5-10 minute drive off the 401.

Lets be honest, a Waterloo Region team is going to have the majority of STH from Kitchener, Waterloo, Brantford, Guelph, Cambridge and London, they're not going to draw much from the GTA besides occasional games, but they can still carve out a market for people who can't go to games (Realistically the Leafs market extends almost to Ottawa, as far north as Thunder Bay and all the way to both major borders at Niagara Falls and Windsor. They obviously have the majority of seasons ticket holders in the core GTA, and draw a little bit from as far west as Stratford, far south as London/Niagara Falls, far east as Kingston, and as far north as Barrie.

I also don't think a Cambridge arena would do much to the economy there, most economic growth is still going to be in Kitchener-Waterloo where the two universities are.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is online now   Reply With Quote