Old
10-24-2012, 10:07 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
I think this has failure written all over it like the signing of alexei yashin and rick dipietro did.

You're points are completely spot on. The Islanders must be really banking on the allure of a brand new stadium to attract their fans. Because quite honestly they are not going to be converting rangers fans into islanders fans in that area. Its not like the Nets and the Knicks. Basketball in brooklyn is different than hockey. The Nets can and probably already have converted some knick fans. It also has to do with the fact that the knicks up until the last couple years struggled so dearly. And even when they've made it to the playoffs the quick 1st round exits haven't been too impressive considering all the money they've spent.

But even putting all that aside, like you said ticket prices will not be cheap anymore and they will have to travel a lot further to get to the games. The Islanders are not a winning team. They are a few years away. I guess they are praying that by the time they move in, they are relevant again. I don't know if playing in a new arena in Brooklyn will attract more free agents or now. Bottom line is Islanders fans weren't showing up when tickets were cheap and the Coliseum was smack in the middle of Nassau County; I don't see them showing up in Brooklyn when tickets are more expensive.
The allure of a new stadium only works if the product is good. Take the Mets: the allure of a new stadium did not supersede a lousy product. Add in ridiculous ticket prices and its a disaster.

The hope is probably that they will be in better position to lure free agents. We'll see.