View Single Post
Old
10-24-2012, 11:41 AM
BigG44

vCash: 500
The last few we just have different opinions so I'll leave it at that, but the one thing I did want to ask is what is training camp for in your opinion?

If it isn’t for earning ice time and a role on the team, what is it for? Training camp allowed Jamie Benn to establish himself over Fabian Brunnstrom rather than Benn going to the AHL. James Neal won a role with the Dallas Stars because of a strong camp despite a rather average rookie AHL season (though he did have a strong finish). I think it’s safe to say you can guarantee Brenden Dillon doesn’t make the Dallas Stars if he doesn’t consistently impress in pre-season before the season starts. Those games matter … especially for rookies … and I don’t agree that a poor performance in the pre-season should allow you a free pass in the early part of the regular season.

Regarding Glennie, he isn’t getting a free pass, and he’s being punished appropriately. I don’t think the initial reaction to Glennie should be demoting him. He was very good in the 2nd half of the AHL season. Unlike Austin Smith, he has established himself in the AHL. If he returns from this punishment and doesn’t perform at the level he should, I don’t doubt for one second they’ll send him to the ECHL. Doing it now would be an overreaction IMO.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote