View Single Post
Old
10-24-2012, 12:05 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Yeah but what about losing Kovy, AND Parise? That's 68 goals right there out the window from last year. Not to mention more than half those goals the other probably had an assist on. We only scored 216 goals last year too. Our D also can't score for **** except Bryce in the playoffs, and Volch when it goes off someones helmet!

We had 2 less goals from D men in 2010/2011 in a season where the team scored 45 less goals. YUCK. Kinda unrelated, but we need more than 16 goals from defensemen. I'm pretty sure in 2010/2011 we were lowest in the league of goals scored by defensemen, as we were also the lowest scoring team period. I wouldn't be surprised if our D men were the lowest scoring last year too.
Good point about losing Parise too. However, those goals aren't simply gone. Parise's minutes will get filled by someone, or a combination of players, and while they probably won't score at the same G/60 rate, they'll replace some of those goals.

People should remember that if we put someone like Tedenby in Kovalchuk's minutes and with his linemates, he'd probably score 20 goals. That's why this analysis should always be done in terms of replacement value. Losing Kovalchuk isn't 38 goals down the drain, it's 38 goals minus whatever those replaced minutes produce.

There are obviously other things that factor into the argument (assists, defensive play), but the general idea holds.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote