Thread: Prospect Info: Sami Vatanen
View Single Post
Old
10-24-2012, 12:46 PM
Hockey Duckie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
You said you didn't see one person question it, I provided an example and now you want to move the goalposts, all I said is people were infact questioning the deal at the time and it wasn't just here but elsewhere i didn't say everyone did
I read the first couple of pages of that linked thread and came out with two conclusions: 1) People liked the deal or 2) People questioned the price of a 2nd contract. Those people who questioned the price of the 2nd contract were then redirected to what Oilers' GM Lowe did the previous year, which Lowe gave a pretty generous 2nd contract to Penner in order to pry him away from the Ducks due to Penner's RFA status and the Ducks' fiscal responsibilities to the organization. Burke was upset when Lowe did that move because the move raised the bar for 2nd contracts. Based upon what Penner accomplished at the time vs what Getzlaf accomplished at the time and Getz' position, Getz' contract would be considered a good, if not great deal.

What agent in their right mind would want to settle for a $3 million/year contract for five years when another player with lesser production is making $5 million/ year. It's easy to bash contracts without context. BTW, here's another example where the NHLPA wins despite telling everyone they bent over backwards and lost everything. Any rookie with decent stats are now getting 3rd or 4th contract prices at their 2nd contracts. Teams want to win and someone, Lowe in this case, pushed the price so high for 2nd contracts that he had no regard to how it would affect the league then and its future. I didn't hear the PA say to Lowe and Penner that they're making too much money. But I'm sure they would be up in arms if Getz and Perry were to earn $2 million less than Penner the following year as it's not their practice. I don't blame the PA because that's their job. It's also the league's job to keep the things within profitable context. When outliers become the norm, then it becomes the league's job to amend that somehow.

Increases price of 2nd contracts compound that with an increasing cap (and floor), things are bound to spiral out of control unless the league can keep up with that. Some teams can, big market teams, and a lot of others can't (lots of small market teams). Based upon what Penner received, GEtzlaf's contract was a steal!

Player ..Year.. .Team. ..Pts.. ..Pts.. .Team. ..Year.. Player
Penner
06/07
Ducks

Ducks
07/08
Getzlaf
Penner       Getzlaf
Penner
07/08
Oilers

Ducks
08/09
Getzlaf
Penner
08/09
Oilers

Ducks
09/10
Getzlaf
Penner
09/10
Oilers

Ducks
10/11
Getzlaf
Penner
10/11
Oilers/Kings

Ducks
11/12
Getzlaf
Penner
11/12
Kings

na
Ducks
12/13
Getzlaf
Penner       Getzlaf
Penner
07-11
5 year contract

5 year contract*
08-12
Getzlaf

* Getlaf has yet to play out his fifth year of the contract. See NHL Lockout.

Penner's $4.25 mil/year contract was from 07/08 - 11/12. Getzlaf's $5.325/year average contract was from 08/09 - 12/13. I included their previous year's production before the 2nd contract. Just looking at their production the year before, getting Getzlaf to sign a contract at that price looks like a discount for the Ducks. And upon reflection, Getzlaf has score almost 100 points more than Penner with one year left to play on that contract.

Hockey Duckie is offline   Reply With Quote