View Single Post
10-24-2012, 01:04 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Bring Back Scuderi View Post
I have a hard time figuring Rochefort out.

Part of it stems from this quote, which very well could be a minority opinion. (The question was who is the best d-man in Nordiques history so I guess that blurs things a bit with the defensive-focus in this thread)

My other issue is there doesn't seem to be anyone talking about how useful he was in '87. Did he hold his own or are we giving him extra credit two decades later because of the quirks of one team-building exercise?

I worry that's all that makes Rocehfort an ATDer, because he wasn't exactly killing Marios or Moller in TOI as the quoted post says and he wasn't valuable enough to pick up token AST votes as a defense-only guy.

Maybe it's just me needing to see more of him since defensive-minded guys are always the toughest to judge.
Marois was an offensive/two-way defenseman though, while Rochefort was a pure defensive guy.

Rochefort actually played in both the 1987 Canada Cup, and in Rendezvous 1987, which was a semi-best-on-best. According to legendsofhockey, he played very well at Rendezvous 87:

Originally Posted by legendsofhockey
He anchored the Nordiques' blueline, which had a strong offensive orientation, for seven seasons until his little secret got out. He was invited to play at Rendez-vous '87 and the Canada Cup later that year. He surprised everyone as the steadiest defender at the tournament. From then on, Rochefort was on the NHL map.
In the final of the 1987 Canada Cup, he was matched against KLM:

From game 2 Canada matched the line of Mark Messier, Mike Gartner, and Glenn Anderson linked with defensemen Rochefort and Crossman against the Soviets' main threat, the KLM line, to attempt to shut them down
The Canada Cup of Hockey Fact and Stat Book, by H.J. Anderson, page 115

These are the stats of the Canadian defensemen in the Canada Cup:

Bourque: 9 GP, 2-6-8, +3
Murphy: 8 GP, 1-6-7, +8
Coffey: 9 GP, 2-4-6, +1
Rochefor: 9 GP, 1-2-3, +3
Hartsburg: 9 GP, 0-2-2, E
Patrick: 6 GP, 0-1-1, +1
Crossman: 8GP, 0-1-1, -4

Yes, I had Rochefort in the MLD before.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote