Thread: Avs fans
View Single Post
Old
10-24-2012, 01:32 PM
IWantSakicAsMyGM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
I don't really understand it. THere's being bandwagon fans but I don't get how the team could actually sell out every regular season game and then have an attendance drop so significant. I mean some of those "bandwagon" fans that kept coming to games must have become regulars. It has to be high ticket prices.
It's really a combination of things. Up until the 2004-05 lockout, the Avs were (arguably) the best sports team in Denver, and bringing in fans was easy. The Nuggets sucked, the Broncos (post Elway) weren't all that great, and the Mammoth didn't come into existence until 2003.

The lockout changed some things. People were angry that an entire season of hockey was lost, so they refused to go to games. The team was dismantled due to the cap and retirements.

Combine that with the Nuggets going from the 6th/7th place team in their division to making the playoffs every year since 03-04. By comparison, the Avs have only made the playoffs 3 of the 7 years since the last lockout. The team has had a couple of top 3 picks.

Then throw the Mammoth into the mix. Since they joined the league, they have missed the playoffs once. As someone else mentioned, lacrosse is fast, fun and cheap.

If you have a limited budget to spend on live sporting events, are you going to choose see a team that is competitive, or a team that isn't?

IWantSakicAsMyGM is online now   Reply With Quote