View Single Post
Old
10-24-2012, 04:27 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

vCash: 500
The year feels fairly light with best pic contenders thus far, but I still don't think The Avengers or Dark Knight Returns are going to make the cut come awards time. Both remind me of The Town and Star Trek from previous years -- solid, enjoyable populist movies that'll hang around the fringes of the discussion, but ultimately fall short.

I posted this a few years ago, but for all the hand-wringing by some on message boards and some in the media, the Academy Awards does have stronger history of nominating (and awarding) popular movies than it is given credit for.

37 of the top 100 inflation-adjusted box office grossing movies have been nominated for best picture (including 9 of the top 10!). And, if my math is right, 16 of those 37 won best picture (including 3 of the top 10).

Quick aside, on the non inflation adjusted list not relevant to this convo, just found it interesting -- 34 of the top 50 not adjusted for inflation are from Pixar, based on a comic book or part of the Star Wars, Pirates of the Carribean, Twilight, Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter series.
Also, 39 of the top 50 have been released in the 2000s (number jumps to 46 if you go back 20 years to 1992).

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote