View Single Post
Old
10-24-2012, 03:32 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
To this day the goaltending situation puzzles me. We didn't know it at the time but Dryden's one knock on his career was that he had a heck of a time figuring out the Russians. He was big and tall and if you caught Dryden going from post to post - which the Russians did the way they passed - you could beat him.

Phil Esposito has always joked that Harry Sinden said that while Dryden would start Game 8 he would pull him if he got in trouble. Well, 5 goals later, he still didn't pull him.

I've always maintained that Tony O was the best of the three goalies who played. He outplayed Tretiak and Dryden for sure. Tretiak was great in the first 4 games and then bad in the last 4. Dryden was awful in the first two games and then sort of redeemed himself in Game 6 and 8. If you watch Game 8 even in the 3rd period you can see Dryden make a few crucial saves, so he bounced back.

But Esposito never really had a bad game. Game 5 wasn't very good but he was in full control until that collapse at the end. Other than that he was solid and the most trustworthy of the three goalies.

Since the games in Moscow were basically do or die for Canada I don't understand either why Sinden rotated the goalies despite each of them having a good game. That rarely works having two number 1 goalies but it did.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote