Thread: Prospect Info: Sami Vatanen
View Single Post
Old
10-24-2012, 06:02 PM
AngelDuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
I'm not moving the goal posts, I'm clarifying. I'm not even sure why you brought up Getzlaf and Perry's contracts, since it has nothing to do with Souray's contract. Getzlaf and Perry were two young players coming off of their ELC's. They had their entire future ahead of them. Anaheim fans were thrilled with the signings. As Duckie pointed out, in that thread you brought up, the questions regarding the Getzlaf signing involved the disappearance of the second contract. That was a common complaint at the time, because prior to that a player had a go-between contract. That was a big reach for such a strawman argument. "Hey look, a small minority took issue with the Getzlaf contract, and look how that turned out."

None of this has anything to do with the issues people have with Souray's contract. Souray isn't a young player coming off of an ELC. He's a 36 year old, with a long history of injuries and missed games. Souray's contract is universally seen as a bad contract. Could he prove everyone wrong? Absolutely he could, and no one has said otherwise, but the odds certainly don't favor it. When you sign a player like Souray, factoring in his age and injury history, you want to minimize the risk... and a three year contract is not doing that. This is the type of contract that will be perceived as bad until proven otherwise, not the other way around.
Excellent post. I completely agree.

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote