View Single Post
Old
10-24-2012, 07:59 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbour View Post
And if the NHL, a 3.3 billion dollar business, agreed with you, then the Islanders would have left. So nice way to put an entirely negative spin on the situation.

The Islanders could be looking at it like.. hey, now when we call the best free agent on July 1st, not only does he not hang up, we have just a good a chance as anybody else. And maybe, if said free agent lands, we could actually get good again. And maybe then, being in a borough with 2.3 million people, we could build on what is left from the Islanders in Nassau and market the Islanders like we do the Nets.

That's called business. The Islanders were never leaving the NYC area, and that was something Bettman made clear dozens of times, yet nobody listened.

The potential for the Islanders in Brooklyn is substantial, hence why this deal went down today.

Why does it have to be anything more then that? Don't you think it would be GOOD for NY hockey if the Islanders could become relevant? Maybe it would be good for hockey, period? Truth is, you could care less what's good for hockey.

Back in 2001, everyone conviniently forget that Wang challenged the biggest spenders in the league to get the Islanders back into the playoff picture. Everyone paints Wang as a criminal, but he has invested a ton of money in the Islanders, and obviously is still interested in them considering he didn't just sell them off. Maybe, just maybe, Wang is excited to get back to spending and not worry about spending with zero corporate support and potential for business growth.

I think there's a very good chance Wang opens the wallet next summer.

These things matter, yanno.
You do realize that I said, from a business standpoint, correct? Where am I talking about Bettman or the $3.3 billion NHL? I'm talking about the front office of the Islanders. They now have 14,500 seats and will charge more for them for a team that is below average. That's not a way to make money.

As a huge hockey fan, I definitely don't care about what's good for hockey. Yup, you hit it on the head! Jesus...

And to the bolded, those are all based on "ifs". First off, the Isles will never be marketed like the Nets. If you'll remember, this is the United States of Basketball, Football, and Baseball. Secondly, what makes you think a free agent would want to come to the Islanders just because they're in Brooklyn? Who gives a **** that they're in Brooklyn if they aren't a good team? Parise didn't just go home to Minnesota, he joined a team full of great players and brought Suter with him. And when it comes to money and ownership, the Islanders can't compete with the likes of the Rangers, Bruins, Penguins, etc... So I'm sorry, but that's a big "if", a big "if" that you don't base a huge change of scenery off of.

I'm assuming by your username, that you are an Islander fan. I'm sorry that I offended you with my honest thought about how going to Brooklyn to an arena that seats 14,500 people is a bad idea. But maybe, just maybe, you ignored the 2nd part of my post.

Last edited by Clowes Line: 10-24-2012 at 08:07 PM.