View Single Post
Old
10-24-2012, 09:20 PM
UnrealMachine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I think with Bennett, people are completely throwing out the window that he has missed a lot of hockey with injury, and are also using his draft position against him in regards to his development. Just because a guy is drafted in the first round doesn't mean that he should be in the NHL in 2 years and ripping it up. Bennett is going to need 2 or 3 years in the minors. If he does well this year, that timeline may be cut down a bit, but don't bet on it. He was a raw, boom-or-bust guy when drafted, and that hasn't changed. People can also stat watch and complain about how he hasn't produced, but fact is, that entire WBS team hasn't produced, and through 4 games, Bennett had 2 points which tied him for the team lead. He's also in a brand new city, in a brand new organization, playing in a brand new league that is a few notches higher than any league he's every played in. Cut him some slack. If he has 7 points in 40 games, then I'd start to worry.

I think, at the very least, Beau Bennett can be a Michel Ouellete for this team, who can complement top 6 talent, and score some goals. His skating deficiencies don't scare me a bit. That stuff can be easily improved on, and we've seen it numerous times in this organization that skating camps and what not have vastly improved a players skating. Much like with Pouliot, Bennett has attributes you cannot teach. He has great hands, a very good shot, and some savvy in the offensive zone. The organization can bulk him up, and work on his skating no problem.
I believe that the sentence highlighted above is what angers people even more. If this is true, as has been bounced around a lot lately, then why would he leave school in 47 games after 2 seasons? Why would the Pens staff let him? He obviously needs a lot more development time, and at the rate people are now projecting, he'll be starting in the NHL on nearly his 2nd contract. The possibility of losing significant entry-level and UFA years on him as he develops in the AHL instead of the NCAA screams of mismanagement.