View Single Post
Old
10-24-2012, 10:44 PM
Et le But

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Could Barkov sneak past Jones or MacKinnon to be drafted into the top two?
Barkov is in a "slump" right now (2 games without a point! Everyone panic!) but I think it all depends on how he does in the WJC, there's a lot of skepticism about Finnish prospects as the nation hasn't really produced a blue chip prospect in a long time (Granlund looks to break that streak, but it's too early to say). Plus Barkov isn't particularly explosive and keeps his game simple.

But over a PPG pace in the SM-liiga is unprecedented at 17, according to the prospects board the closest in history is Granlund who finished the year at that age at .93 ppg. And Granlund, while ridiculously skilled with a high hockey IQ is also small and not a great skater so there's genuine concerns about how his game will adapt, while Barkov is huge and strong as a bull. Not to mention Granlund was a purely offensive player at that point while Barkov is already dominant in every zone.

If he continues at his pace not counting the "slump" he should be in the discussion, but the WJC should make or break him.

For what it's worth Barkov and Drouin are probably my two favourite players in the draft, I'd still probably go with Mackinnon over them because of the edge he plays with. And of course there's Lindholm...every year a Swede gets called the new Forsberg, and this is the closest one yet, so it's hard to not see the appeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Before putting Drouin in my top 3 (or even top 5), I'd like to see him play without MacKinnon to see what he would do as THE leader of the Mooseheads attack. Would he still put up more than 2 points a game? Unless there's an injury, the only chance for that to happen is if MacKinnon makes the WJC team and Drouin does not.

Typically the Drouin type of forward has fallen in the draft (Teravainen, Eberle, Giroux, etc)...
I mostly agree with this, Drouin will be quite a player but those small playmakers tend to fall out of the top 5 for a reason. Projecting the next Giroux isn't that easy.

Last edited by Et le But: 10-24-2012 at 10:50 PM.