View Single Post
Old
10-25-2012, 04:17 AM
KevFu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
If you've alienated a vast population of fans by moving, would it be wise to make a third jersey or even use the existing one or would you strictly amp up every ounce of tradition to retain as many paying customers as possible?

Sorry if this derails this, goes off topic, or whatever, but I suggest the best logo design is the one the glory years vets angry about today wore. Just my early entry. It might be too soon.
That's an extremely valid point... I was thinking of this from a Wednesday morning perspective, not a Wednesday night:

Think back to Wednesday morning and people's reaction to the news. Paraphrasing it, it went:
1. Is this really happening, or is it a leverage move for show?
2. It's really happening! OH MY GOD WE HAVE A NEW ARENA! WE AREN'T GOING TO LEAVE THE MARKET!
3. (Are they going to be / they better not be) the Brooklyn Islanders ( ? / ! )
4. Is Wang selling / can we move now?
5. Configuration of Barclays

Now we know the team isn't changing logo, colors or uniform; doing so now would be trading Nassau/Suffolk fans for Brooklyn fans.

The goal is to retain add a Brooklyn fan base and hope most in N/S counties are just glad we're not the Seattle Relocatees, and realize it's the county's fault we're 20 miles away because they they had 20 years of chances to keep us.

I'd think the way to go about it would be:
Keep the old fans by retaining the New York Islanders name, color, logo, and primary jerseys and continue to celebrate the tradition and heritage of the franchise on Long Island.
Win new Brooklyn fans by (having the team in Brooklyn and) giving them a small shoutout with a secondary patch and an occasional third jersey.
And of course, marketing to both subsets of fans.

So, yeah, I wouldn't change a damned thing; but I think you need some kind of shoutout to Brooklyn to try and lure some new fans.

KevFu is offline   Reply With Quote