View Single Post
Old
10-25-2012, 07:01 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
And just to be clear, I'm not anti-Souray. He's certainly not my first choice of players to add, but when he's healthy and playing well he's a potent addition to any team's special teams. My problem is with the contract. I just don't get the logic behind signing a 36 year old, which is already the twilight of the average NHL career, who also has a long history of injuries, to a three year contract worth 11 million. Souray's own personal history says we'd be lucky to get two healthy seasons out of him, and that's without factoring in his age, which casts even more doubt on his durability.
I agree. I just believe the value for the contract favors Souray. I'm pretty happy with the thought likely process behind his signing (size, shot, physicality, experience), but given his injury history, his not-too distant extended (albeit cap hit forced) stay in the minors and his less than great numbers last year, it would have been fair to see him net either the salary or the term. The fact that he got both is a bit of a minus and brings a risk. Thankfully none that Souray can't possibly overcome, but definitely big enough that I'm not a fan of the odds.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote