View Single Post
Old
10-25-2012, 08:20 AM
brian_griffin
"Elite Poster" ???

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Paragraph B states that PA had an early termination option, as well as the single extension option. They obviously took the extension.

However, paragraph A shows that unless either side explicitly opted out, the existing CBA would have automatically re-upped for 1 year terms. The owners chose to take this route, and here we are today.

This is part of my core belief that the players wouldn't strike. The opt out cutoff is May, already into the playoffs. I don't believe, no matter how bad it got, that the players would walk in the middle of a playoff series.

Frankly, in my view, an owner lockout should be a last resort negotiating tool, not a primary tactic. If the owners felt their only leverage to get a fair deal was to lock out, they're morons. They both should have TRIED to negotiate well before the point where a lockout was on the table.
I'm admittedly a little hazy, but I'm missing at least one of your points. Notification of non-renewal in May (of a contract expiring in Sept.) doesn't mean striking in May in the middle of the playoffs. They are two separate actions / events, and not done concurrently.

As to the last paragraph, what other leverage do the owners have to force negotiation? (I ask this innocently.) Perpetually extending a contract with terms not favorable to them (in their view) doesn't seem like a tactic the owners could use to get the union to sit down.