View Single Post
Old
10-25-2012, 10:17 AM
Dan-o16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZec View Post
I think the biggest problem wasn't the arena itself, but the fact that a player signing today, could end up living in Kansas City 2 years later. Wich is a risk some players (especially those with families) wouldn't have taken.

Now every player will know that the team will be locked in brooklyn for the next 25 years, on top of that in a new Arena. This will be a huge factor, IMO.
This is the main factor, which leads to a bunch of other factors:

1. Fans will no longer sitt on their money because they feel uncertain about the team's future.

2. The fact that the team has locked up their core (Tavares, Nielsen, Okposo, Grabner, Martin, Moulson to a lesser extent) means that there will be a perception that there is a team to build around.

3. By 2013-2014 you can add a bumper crop of prospects all of whom will be ready or nearly ready - Strome, Nino, Reinhart, Donovan, Poulin, Nilsson, Nelson, Ullstrom, and Cizikas. There will be absolutely no need for bottom-6 forwards on this team. There will be defensive depth. The team will have two clear needs: a top line RW, and a top-pairing D. At the end of the 2014 campaign there will also be a bumper crop of UFA's. I'd be shocked if the Islanders aren't a hot team going into that offseason.

Basically, I expect the free agent train to get rolling not after this season (if there is one), but before the 2014 season.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote