View Single Post
Old
10-25-2012, 02:08 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
It will never be more than one season? Not all that long ago, it was there will NEVER be a full season that is canceled.

I believe that 99.99% of the fans will not come back this time around. You are entitled to your opinion. And if there is no two seasons, the NHL is as good as dead.

Think of it. Fehr will be in no hurry to start the next season, once this one is canceled. However, the owners will be. Why? Because unlike this year, they will not have sold a single ticket. Right now, they are feeling the pinch of concessions and the anciliaries. Wait until they feel the ticket sales as well.

Fehr was in no hurry to start the baseball season, after the World Series was canceled. And please do not tell me that the players will force him. he is doign what they want. They hired him for this. They do not want to get bent over again.
I understand why Fehr wouldn't be. But the players he represents?

Cash melts away fast when you're used to a certain standard of living. More to the point, careers melt away fast when they average, what, 5 years for the rank and file NHL player? That's two lost years of earnings and two lost years of playing time. I went into the lockout at 27 in the prime of my career and now I'm 29 and viewed as only having a couple of good years left?

An owner's career on the other hand can go on for decades (just look at Dolan!) and, when it's over, the club is sold for a big cash price or left to his heirs to continue the process.

I'm not minimizing the cost to the owners, but I see a two year lockout as crippling to the players.