View Single Post
Old
10-25-2012, 04:09 PM
True Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Well if Fehr believes that I've got a bridge to sell him. The history of just about every single sports labor strife paints a pretty clear picture of where the leverage lies. Players do not win sports labor negotiations unless it is unintentional (see 2005 NHL CBA).
Take a look at the history of Fehr in MLB. I would not say that they players were loosers.
Quote:
Sure, NHL owners have some fixed costs. But a lot of these costs (arena leases being the big one) can be minimized through other ways (booking more concerts/events for example).
Yes, but that only benefits the owners if they own the arena. If MSG books a concert, Dolan does not share int eh profit.
Quote:
Also, as painful as it may be, the owners collectively will not be directly personally impacted to the same degree players are.
I do not disagree, but millionaires watch every last basis point. Many times, much more so than any Main Street type. To pick a mid point on a franchise, is around $200m. There is NO millionaire can handle that will have a $200m albatross hanging around their neck, incur costs, make absolutely no money, and stare and greatly decreased revenues in the near and far future (2 years of playing for free on teh NBC contract will HURT A LOT).
Quote:
A lost year of earnings for the superstar players is bad enough. But for the 50%+ of the PA that are 3rd/4th liners, enforcers, 35+ veterans, etc. a lost year of earnings is potentially disastrous.
You are not wrong. But the owners will give A LOT on these gigantic investments that they have made.