View Single Post
Old
10-25-2012, 04:56 PM
Stansfield*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
There should be more Russians / Europeans, period. And those that are there should be higher. Makarov at 61, ROTFL.
I'm sure that I'm in the minority, but for my money, Makarov was just as good as Kharlamov.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBlondeDemon10 View Post
The reason that the Russians are not well represented in the top 70 for that era is that the team as a whole was greater than the sum of its parts. In 79 and 81, they beat the NHL and Canada Cup teams in the crucial games before they even stepped onto the ice. The Russians, particularly Tikhonov, played a very shrewd psychological game with the Canadians. This was the masterminding behind the facades of the Cold War and one of the reasons that the Americans were able to defeat the Russians during this era and the Canadians not. The Americans played the same psychological game as the Russians while Canada could not. Most Canadians still believed the Russian empire to be an evil omnipotent power capable of anything. If you don't believe me, read about how Tikhonov approached the 81 Canada Cup final and his handling of Lafleur and Gretzky.
I agree with this reasoning, but it's still not enough to justify the lack of Russians IMO. Lafleur for example, was the the greatest offensive player I've ever seen (besides Gretzky and Lemieux). But other than his amazing peak, I think he had a rather unimpressive career. Joe Malone is another guy, what makes his peak numbers better than Brett Hull, Ovechkin, Bure, or Selanne etc.? He's an iconic player sure, but the 17/18 season appears to be just as much of an anomaly as the 92/93 season.

Disclaimer: I don't claim be a hockey history expert, this is all my opinion. And I am well aware the list was made in 2009 and is subject to change.

Stansfield* is offline   Reply With Quote