Nationwide Arena/CBJ Finances Discussion II
View Single Post
10-25-2012, 06:48 PM
Join Date: Oct 2007
Originally Posted by
It's funny to think that this is the worst thing imaginable, when:
1) The state of Ohio floated $15 million to Ohio State for "architectural surveys/studies" for Value City Arena, but rejected $1 million for feasibility studies to see if a non-campus arena would be doable.
2) Huntington Park was unilaterally decided on behind closed doors, without a public referendum, with no apparent backlash. And it was put right next to an arena and district that the city/county never
wanted in the first place.
Honestly, I think the only reason we notice any sort of "backlash" against the Nat is because we're paying attention. I've seen folks complain about Huntington Park repeatedly - especially the contractor bidding. But they're kind of on the fringe.
Then again, I also like to think of it this way:
* Public funding for an arena has been rejected repeatedly by Franklin County voters.
* A casino in the area has ALSO been rejected repeatedly by Franklin County voters.
* There is now a casino here, and we have been unable to stop it coming here - the rest of the state generously outvoted us. Nonetheless, it provides additional funds.
* Those additional funds are being spent on the arena.
So why kvetch specifically about the arena, to the exclusion of all else?
I know, I know, I'm asking extremists to make sense... silly viqsi...
"...on hf boards nothing matters until you have had 5 years of success and then you're declining anyways so you suck" --Seanaconda
"I think that reality bests your scenario" --Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Congratulations to all Las Vegas area hockey fans, present and future!
View Public Profile
Visit Viqsi's homepage!
Find More Posts by Viqsi