Old
10-25-2012, 07:04 PM
Jebus
Hey you guys!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
KPD

can't argue with the Norris and although people quickly point out Karlsson's defensive play (which isn't that bad) they neglect to mention the vastly superior offensive ability and his overall impact on the Sens.

It really depends for me how Doughty plays this season (hopefully there is one) to see if he can keep his playoff play up and prove it wasn't a hot streak.

Pietroangelo is well-rounded, safe, and a great defenseman and I am certain will be an amazing player for the foreseeable future. I think he's less of a risk than doughty and therefore will take him at #2
Karlsson is NOT vastly superior offensively. He plays in a different conference and a different role on his team. As I mentioned in a previous thread, he would be eaten alive playing in the Western Conference against bigger stronger players like Getzlaf, Thornton, Kopitar, Benn, Backes etc.

Question for any Sens fans... What type of numbers do you think Karlsson would put up in a Ken Hitchcock system? or a Terry Murray/Sutter system? What kind of numbers do you think Pavel Datsyuk would put up if he was basically told: "don't worry about defense, or winning- just go score!"?

Alex Pietrangelo scored 51! points under Hitch while anchoring one of the top defensive teams in the league and one of the top teams overall. That's very impressive. Should we even compare his defensive abilities to Karlsson?

Sorry if these factor into my evaluation of your golden boy but didn't with the Norris voters. He's a great offensive defenseman with plenty of time to refine his game and grow into his frame. I don't follow the Caps too closely but it seems like Mike Green has tried to round out his game (at the expense of huge offensive numbers) over the last couple seasons and I have a lot of respect for that. Hopefully Karlsson follows suit. But until then he's not really comparable with Doughty, Pietrangelo, Chara, Weber etc. despite what Sens fans want so desperately to believe.

Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote