View Single Post
Old
10-25-2012, 08:31 PM
gmjevtwa

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzikMachine View Post

1) Barring any follow up announcements, the Islanders will be a tenant at Barclays. Would their survival be a comparable to a Seattle NHL franchise under Hansen?

2) Barclays is not NHL-friendly and has been compared to the America West Arena in Phoenix. Does anyone know how Key Arena would compare to Barclays, specifically in terms of hockey seating, obstructed views, etc?

Aside from the fact that the Islanders are one less relocation candidate, would the Brooklyn/Islanders deal help Seattle?
From yesterday's press conference and the local (NY) news reports that I've read, the Islanders signed a 25 year agreement to play at Barclays Center starting in 2015. The arena currently seats approx. 14,500 for hockey games. Islanders owner Charles Wang and Barclays Centerminority owner and developer Bruce Ratner have 3 years to figure that out how to increase seating for hockey. Right now, Nassau Coliseum is the second smallest NHL arena in seating at approx. 16,250 with Winnipeg's MTS Center the smallest at 15,004.

Hockey seating charts for the Key and Barclays Center are similar to America West Arena (now US Airways Center): center ice and overhead scoreboards are not aligned.

I've attended a few hockey games at Key Arena when the WHL Seattle Thunderbirds played a few seasons ago. Despite a very loud and festive hockey crowd, I was not very impressed with the venue. Nonetheless, if an expansion or transferred NHL team does end up in Seattle, Key Arena would be an acceptable temporary venue for just 1-2 seasons. I've seen numerous numbers ranging from 8,000-11,000 unobstructed seats with a full capacity of approx. 15,000.

As a former Uniondale, Long Island resident now living in the Seattle area, I was intrigued. At the same time, it would have been silly for the Islanders to move so far away when a new arena was being built in Brooklyn.

Could this deal help Seattle? I'm not too sure how to answer that question. If building a new arena means new NBA and NHL teams within in 2-5 years in Seattle, then it would be similar to what is happened to Barclays in Brooklyn.
Will it happen? Who knows.
Personally, I hope it does.

Last edited by gmjevtwa: 10-25-2012 at 08:37 PM.