View Single Post
Old
10-25-2012, 09:19 PM
ESH

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebus View Post
Karlsson is NOT vastly superior offensively. He plays in a different conference and a different role on his team. As I mentioned in a previous thread, he would be eaten alive playing in the Western Conference against bigger stronger players like Getzlaf, Thornton, Kopitar, Benn, Backes etc.

Question for any Sens fans... What type of numbers do you think Karlsson would put up in a Ken Hitchcock system? or a Terry Murray/Sutter system? What kind of numbers do you think Pavel Datsyuk would put up if he was basically told: "don't worry about defense, or winning- just go score!"?

Alex Pietrangelo scored 51! points under Hitch while anchoring one of the top defensive teams in the league and one of the top teams overall. That's very impressive. Should we even compare his defensive abilities to Karlsson?

Sorry if these factor into my evaluation of your golden boy but didn't with the Norris voters. He's a great offensive defenseman with plenty of time to refine his game and grow into his frame. I don't follow the Caps too closely but it seems like Mike Green has tried to round out his game (at the expense of huge offensive numbers) over the last couple seasons and I have a lot of respect for that. Hopefully Karlsson follows suit. But until then he's not really comparable with Doughty, Pietrangelo, Chara, Weber etc. despite what Sens fans want so desperately to believe.
I'd say Karlsson was also way more valuable to his team than either Pietrangelo or Doughty were to there's.

Your talking as though you think Doughty and Pietrangelo would have had almost 80 points playing on Ottawa. I'm sure pretty much everyone will disagree.

And finally, I disagree with your point about Datsyuk. I think his focus on defense and getting the puck away from players contributes to his offense.

Anyways, Karlsson is kind of a weird player in that there's a whole bunch of people who think he's really good defensively, and a whole bunch of people who think he's absolutely terrible. I'm kind of inbetween. I'd say he's not exactly good defensively, but he can hold his own, and he's not as much of a wreck as some people say.

I also think that Doughty is getting pretty overrated. Especially defensively. I don't think he's as great as some people think he is.

ESH is online now   Reply With Quote