View Single Post
Old
10-26-2012, 08:57 AM
Dan-o16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
No. They will have the smallest arena in the league, with the only one being close in Winnipeg. Brooklyn is significantly more populous than Winnipeg, but also faces greater entertainment competition and generally lower interest in hockey. To succeed, the Isles would likely have to operate with a similar cost model, not leaving much room to attracting expensive free agents.
For years 1 and 2 the team could sustain itself on ticket purchases for business entertainment. The mere buzz of hockey and Brooklyn is enough. People outside of New York can only imagine the business entertainment market here. If any of you had any idea how short the trip is from Downtown Manhattan to Barclays, you might begin to understand.

After the novelty, the team will need to win. But things will be different with FA's.

Moreover, I am by no means convinced that the Islanders will continue to run in Wang's provincial ways, nor am I convinced that Ratner will not have a stake. Wang is no longer dealing with scrubs. He's got to up his game, and his standards. This is not a situation like the Giants and Jets who share a facility where the former are class the latter are crass (I can say this as a Jets fan). This is a situation where the Nets are the leaders and the Islanders are the followers. The Islanders will be forced to meet the Nets' standards of operations. As an Islanders fan, that's the best part of this.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote