View Single Post
Old
10-26-2012, 09:59 AM
RayzorIsDull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightsInsider93 View Post
I feel as though Clarke, Maletta, Marchese and all those 94's and 95's are integral to your success NEXT year, not this year. GM Rychel has made it clear that next year is going to be their year. I feel as though right now the squad lacks offensive leadership as far as points accumilated go.

Now time for the other side to the story:

As a Fan looking in on the Spitfires over the passed year or so, it looks like the Windsor Spitfires core group of 94's and 95's (Clarke, Johnson, Marchese, Vail and Rychel, Maletta, Studnika and Bateman) have never really lived up to their hype. It seems as if they lack chemistry or a type of situation where they dont all get along.

I think trading one of those 2 defensemen (Bateman or Devlin) should be #1 priority only if they can acquire another forward even if it means including one of those 94's (Not so much Vail or Rychel but Clarke, Johnson and Marchese) to upgrade to a guy like Josh Leivo from Sudbury who would also provide that offensive leadership.

My two cents on the situation in Windsor.
I don't agree with a lot of this. Vail and Rychel have lived up to their hype, Rychel had 40+ goals this year and has 8 already this year. He may not hit 40 again because the team is struggling to score goals but it won't be his fault. Vail has really improved his game since his rookie year. Studnicka was a 5th round pick if you're expecting a lot from your 5th round pick you either drafted a talented kid that was going the NCAA route or you didn't draft well earlier and you're hoping you strike gold. Their goaltending isn't as good as it was with their better teams and it's not a difference maker most nights.

The struggles go back to their drafting starting back in 09. They moved Brassard to get a shot at another Memorial Cup and it paid off. Their other picks like Trojanovic, Duininck, Locke and Whaley are the only ones in the OHL and they aren't with Windsor. 2010 draft-Webermin, Clarke, Vail, Bowen, Bilcke then you have Feasey and Cortellessa. They made trades to acquire Ebert and Rychel but this draft alone isn't good enough if you want to be contending. Webermin never panned out, Bowen and Bilcke are limited in their talents and Feasey and Cortellessa are fodder, you were able to move Cortellessa to get Marchese but he hasn't been that great. In 2011 you have Maletta, DeKort, Smith and Studnicka in the OHL. Smith was a bust, DeKort right now is waiting his turn to play net and Maletta is still trying to find his game and I mentioned Studnicka above.

Poor drafting and some questionable deals Bateman, Devlin,Marchese, not getting any young prospects from teams when you dealt Kuhnhackl, Campbell isn't helping you can add the inducement sanctions as not helping the team moving forward as an issue as well.

I think you take your medicine and rebuild right now obviously you wouldn't deal a guy like Rychel, Vail or Ho-Sang right now but if you push for a championship next year and these sanctions you're leaving yourself with another rebuilding effort following next year. You still have your 1st rounder in 2014 and a load of 2nd rounders. Move some players this year to get your 2013 draft picks in order build from the ground up like they did in 06-07.