View Single Post
Old
10-26-2012, 10:39 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

vCash: 500
Using the 1994 tournament as a guide, by breaking down into 4 regions/reams:

There's actually enough NHL depth to have two full teams for each regions. This is following the 1 goalie, 5 defensemen, 7 forward format.

These are just players I wrote down, so the "overseas/AHL" filter hasn't been applied yet. Nor did I go into the depth players at all; these are mostly all-stars or future all-stars.

Western Canada (Alberta, British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Manitoba)

Kyle Turris, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Milan Lucic, Evander Kane, Jamie Benn, Ray Whitney, Ryan Smyth, Joffrey Lupul. Jarome Iginla, Taylor Hall, Shane Doan, Jonathan Toews, Patrick Sharp, Brenden Morrow, Patrick Marleau, Scott Hartnell, Ryan Getzlaf

Shea Weber, Brent Seabrook, Sheldon Souray, Dion Phaneuf, Mike Green, Jay Bouwmeester, Duncan Keith, Luke Schenn

Carey Price, Cam Ward

Team Ontario

Justin Williams, Corey Perry, Wayne Simmonds, Nathan Horton, Claude Giroux, Todd Bertuzzi,Rick Nash, James Neal, Brad Boyes, Andy McDonald, Andrew Brunette, Joe Thornton, John Tavares, Stephen Weiss, Steven Stamkos, Jordan Staal, Eric Staal, Jason Spezza, Jeff Skinner, Matt Duchene

Marc Staal, PK Subban, Chris Pronger, Alex Pietrangelo, Ed Jovanovski, Erik Gudbranson, Drew Doughty, Michael Del Zotto, Brent Burns, Dan Boyle

Brian Elliott, Steve Mason

Team Quebec/Eastern Canada (PEI, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland)

Antoine Vermette, Alex Tanguay, Martin St. Louis, David Perron, PA Parenteau, Vincent Lecavalier, Simon Gagne, Danny Briere, Derick Brassard, P-M Bouchard, Rayne Clowe, Sidney Crosby, Brad Richards

Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Stephane Robidas, Kris Letang, Colin White, Jason Demers, M-A Bergeron, Francois Beauchemin

Roberto Luongo, Jose Theodore, Marty Brodeur

Team USA
Paul Stastny, Max Pacioretty, Chris Drury, Bobby Ryan, James van Riemsedyk, Patrick Kane, Dustin Brown, RJ Umberger, TJ Oshie, Joe Pavelski, Phil Kessel, Ryan Kesler, Zach Parise, David Backes

Brooks Orpik, Kevin Shattenkirk, Jack Johnson, J-M Liles, Zach Bogosian, Ryan Suter, Keith Yandle, John Carlson, James Wisniewski, Ryan McDonagh, Dustin Byfuglien

Jonathan Quick, Jim Howard, Cory Schneider, Ryan Miller

(Now then...)

Obviously, there are a couple of other things to quickly address. Paul Stastny was born in Quebec, but represents USA internationally. The prior precedent from 1994 was Dave Ellett, who was born in Cleveland but represented Canada internationally (but played for USA in the 1994 tournament). This would also affect Sean Couturier (born in Phoenix, represents Canada) and Tyler Myers (born in Houston, represents Canada).

As far as retaliation against Columbus, I don't see it happening. The NHL didn't retaliate against the cities that hosted the Ninety-Nine All-Star Tour (1994); in fact, regular season games ended up being played in Europe years down the road. The precedent is that a city that lost an ASG gets it right back at the earliest possible date. To defy that precedent on account of a charity tournament would be a horrible black eye in the PR department.

Scheduling

Let's assume four teams, and let's assume a round-robin format with a single championship game. That's seven total games, for which there'd need to be four days booked (two games per day, championship at the end). For Value City Arena, the only open full days for that are January 7-12 (Monday through Saturday), which are completely open; there's also February 3-6 (Sunday through Wednesday). If you're feeling aggressive, there's also December 2-6 (Sunday through Thursday), which is also wide open. There's also random OSU hockey games thrown into other parts of the schedule, but those are the only completely open ones.

For charity?

I suggested a couple weeks ago on the main board that a quick way to try to establish the upper hand in the PR battle would be by owners donating the gate and players donating the check from the first NHL game this year to Hockey Fights Cancer, and make it all-out with teams wearing purple-trimmed jerseys for that game (all of which would be auctioned off to benefit the same). I still like the idea, although I think it would work for something like this.

Last edited by Mayor Bee: 10-26-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote