View Single Post
Old
10-26-2012, 01:55 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
This is not the first time Timmins has spoken glowingly of player development in Sweden; both Timmins and Bergevin have explicitly praised Swedish development and Timmins has especially emphasized that the facilities Collberg has access to at Frolunda were better than some at the NHL level, let alone the CHL and AHL levels.

He's also emphasizing the need for patience. That doesn't mean anything is decided yet but the club seems to be taking a somewhat hands off approach to its European prospects.

Of course I could be completely wrong, but it's the sense I'm getting and it's been consistent with what Timmins has said, that he trusts Frolunda enough to let Collberg do his own thing.

Personally, especially if he continues to get offensive minutes at this level, the CHL would be useless for Collberg except to get him used to North American ice, especially if he's productive in the WJC - we already know he can score against kids.
I wouldn't say that playing in the CHL would be useless imo. If they feel he's not going to get much ice time, perhaps he would be better off playing a ton in the dub or OHL as it would be interesting to see how he does on the smaller ice in a much more physical environment.

At this point I don't have a real care on where he plays either way as I think the SEL is a great place for him, IF he gets ice time. I hate to see any 18 year sitting or getting very limited ice time. To me the fact that Timmins was saying he was happy that Collberg got sent down speaks that he wasn't overly thrilled with the amount of ice time he's gotten in the SEL so far. Granted reading between the lines can lead to wrong conclusions but I guess we'll see how they feel when the summer rolls around.

Hopefully we cash in on the rise of Swedish hockey, cause up until now it's been a real bust since we haven't gotten anything to show for our Swedish draft picks since the '88 draft.