Old
10-26-2012, 02:25 PM
hatterson
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
It was a grand capitulation at the time. 54% of HRR and 24% rollback. No one knew what revenues would do as the NHL was the only league to ever lose an entire season. Would sponsors and fans return? Would they get a national TV deal? Everything was up for renewal.

They also changed many rules, so there was a certain amount of risk.

What I take exception to though isn't so much what did eventuate but what Bettman promised would be the result: a level playing field where all 30 franchises had the chance to be financially healthy.

Almost half of the owners around at that time have since cashed out! Two teams were sold twice (TB and ST Louis). Meanwhile, the two wealthiest franchises were sold for record levels, and the secind wealthiest NHL owner has put his entertainment business on the block.

Was Bettman's promise delivered?
To be fair, I think you need to differentiate between teams that are well run but still having troubles making profits due to high salary costs and teams that are either run terribly (NYI) or are in terrible locations (Phoenix).

It's hardly fair to blame the NYI money losses and move on the CBA when they haven't ran the team in even a remotely competent manner in many years.

I absolutely agree that there are still teams in the first column (I think I saw SJS were losing money despite being a fairly successful team), but conflating the issue of bad management with a CBA that doesn't provide the proper structure is unfair.