View Single Post
Old
10-26-2012, 03:15 PM
htpwn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton Tigers View Post
It does matter when comparing Hamilton's location to London's. That's what I was responding to.

I think you're right. And again, this was a response to the London location being better than Hamilton's. I don't think London would figure in that top 5 category as a team in Hamilton/GTA would.

Would a 50 mile, or so radius around London include 7 million people? I don't know.
Yeah, we're definitely not on the same page as each other.

I was addressing the myth that is somewhat prevalent on this board that Hamilton is the centre of Southern Ontario, the perfect geographic place for a team. The numbers simply don't back that up. If someone had the chance to build a new arena on any land somewhere in GTA with the aim of attracting the widest possible population, the best place to do it would likely lie in Mississauga or Brampton. That isn't to downplay Hamilton, just dispel this myth.

In comparison to London though, yeah I completely agree that it isn't close and apologize for misinterpreting your previous post. London is too far removed from the Golden Horseshoe to harness the potential that a second team in Southern Ontario could have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
the 403 is the only road on that side of town capable of handing any volume of traffic. an accident, or even bad snowy weather, routinely causes traffic chaos in the area because alternate surface roads simply cannot handle that volume. ever try to get off at main from the downhill 403 during an accident? even just during rush hour.

as well, public transit is simply not efficient enough to convince anyone able to afford NHL prices to get on the bus from ancaster, the central mountain, dundas, guelph, kw, camb. they will ALL be driving.

the only worthwhile public transit is, as you indicate, the GO train coming in from oakville, etc. but I would suggest that most folks from that neck of the woods will also similarly decide to drive in, not wait for a train and/or take a bus out after the game to then get back to the train station.

the saving grace is that there is plenty of cheap, close parking right downtown.
The train is less of an issue. The main issue with GO Trains is timing. Nobody wants to miss the train and wait for an hour for the next one. If GO ran game-day service or the government finally follows through on its promise for half-hourly service, I think it would become very viable for those going to Copps. The train doesn't necessarily need to be faster than driving, just competitive.

The buses are a major issue though. While public transit in Ontario does not suffer from the social stigma that it does in many US cities, buses still do. A lot people will go out of their way to avoid riding a bus, as opposed to other forms of transit. Hamilton would likely need to build an LRT from the GO Station to Copps if the city was interested in providing a viable alternative to the car in getting to the game.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote