View Single Post
Old
10-26-2012, 04:16 PM
cutchemist42

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjindaho View Post
Gear, team merchandise, education funds, travel and accomodations for CHL and Hockey Canada events, free meals, free accomodations.

If they are professionals, then all these things have tangible values and would be considerations for CRA. Keep in mind as well that if the CHLPA successfully sues the CHL, guys like Taylor Hall would be open to being audited to find out whether he underclaimed as a junior (anyone who played junior within the last 5 years would be open to action from CRA).

Wanting better education money is great until you see what the players actually get. For playing hockey, they get free board, free meals, billets who drive them to school and practice, free team merchandise, free gear, free transportation to most events, a large part of their education paid for by the league (in Canada, tuition is around 6K per year), then they get a weekly stipend with no expenses that they have to pay. If the players are good, they usually negotiate themselves a deal where the team tops up the education package to match what an NCAA education would be worth (if necessary).
The 18 month limitation is nothing to write home about though. If I were playing hockey when I was a teen and considered for the CHL, I'd tell them to get lost unless that offer was open for 5 years.

cutchemist42 is online now   Reply With Quote