View Single Post
Old
10-26-2012, 05:32 PM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
Know what sucks most about the lockout, the most recent memory we have still is a 3rd last place finish, and if we lose a full year we wont have that 3rd overall pick in 2013. Also the Leafs will have a really good chance at number 1.
I agree, if we had a season Montreal would probably be drafting around 1st, 2nd, or 3rd; and we would be trading vets for picks at the deadline, completing the rebuld by the start of the 2013-2014 season. Instead, the lockout will lead to a rebuilding aborted at the halfway market, and thus we are likely looking at 8th place finishes and years of 1st and 2nd round playoff exits even with Galchenyuk in the lineup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
So what, i would rather the Leafs get it than the blasted Columbus Blue Jackets.
Do you guys not like rivalries ?
Right now, last season's results show that Toronto and Montreal are approximately equal. The acquisitions of Alex Galchenyuk and Morgan Reilley maintain that approximate equality into the medium term.

However, if the Leafs get Nathan MacKinnon, and we get some 3rd line center at 20th overall who won't be productive until the 2015-16 season, then we won't just be in a rivalry with the leafs, we'll be on the losing end of a rivalry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
Of course there is a difference. The difference is in salary and in the type of work being done. That playing hockey is physically harder than being a mall cop or many, if not most, other types of jobs is not something being argued. Whether or not someone can be the best in their chosen profession and still be deserving of respect and still be considered as hard working in the sense of how well that person does his/her job IS being argued.

You are damn right I work as hard at my job as Crosby. I start 5 days a week at 7:45 and end anywhere from 4:45-7:00 at night depending upon coaching, tutorials, detentions, Leadership program responsibilities, school dances, parent/teacher interviews, corrections, etc... I also work over the week-ends. I can not tell you if I am one of the best teachers in the world or not, but I definitely can tell you I am as hard working as any other person who cares about what they do as a professional, be they a teacher, police officer, mall cop, or sports figure. Hard work is not determined by your salary. Neither is your level of success. I am a proud teacher, love what I do, and could leave for more lucrative careers any time I so desire. I never have, and never will. Enough about me (nobody here cares, and that is the way it should be). I just want respect for we "Joe Blows" when people are talking about how hard working players are. So, to reiterate, "yes", I work as hard as Crosby...if not harder.
It's really amazing that you bring up the fact that you work weekends in a post where your main point is that you work harder than Crosby. Do you think Crosby doesn't work weekends? Do you think he doesn't work long hours?

Further, you confuse working hard with working long hours. They're not the same. Grading homework on the weekend is not mentally taxing it at all, I've done a lot of grading, it's very easy work you can do it with your brain turned half-off and with a glass of whiskey on your side and the TV playing in the background, and still pull of a perfect job at it. I would do grading when I was too exhausted from doing my real work. 1 hour of supervising detention? Not equivalent I'm sure.

I'm not sure, but I think that your perception of Sidney Crosby is that he works about 2 hours a week, i.e. the total amount of time he spends on the ice. That's the impression you give.

ETA:There's also a difference between working hard and working well. I remember some teachers would work really hard, and we'd make them start crying and nothing would get done. Others would walk into the room and command our respect. The latter probably didn't work as hard, but there is no doubt they were worth more, unfortunately those were exactly the people who tended to leave the profession, as they were the ones most likely to have superior options. In the case of people who are the best in the world at what they do, it is both, they work hard and they work well.

Last edited by DAChampion: 10-26-2012 at 06:05 PM.