View Single Post
Old
10-26-2012, 06:48 PM
seanlinden

vCash: 500
To me the interesting this is that Bob Nicholson basically admits that they're professionals.... saying that the value of the education package and whatnot exceeds minimum wage. I have a feeling he's going to regret that, for several reasons.

1. I'm fairly sure additional benefits cannot account for the minimum legal wage.

2. By admitting they are professionals, they are subject to employment and competition laws.

The CHL is not an employer of players, they are an association of owners, similar to the NHL, or in another industry (automotive), an association like SEMA, where competitors are also common members. The teams are the employers of said players.

An association cannot legally dictate which members can employ which employees, and certainly cannot set wages. Furthermore, competitors (like OHL teams) cannot legally conspire to control the labour market for hockey players... these practices are all highly documented in the CHL. Of course, if there was a union which agreed to one CBA with the CHL teams collectively, those things could certainly become legal, but we're not there yet.

That being said, I have to wonder, who's footing the bill for this battle, and what do they realistically expect to gain? I can't imagine it's the players themselves. Maybe Laraque himself?

Last edited by seanlinden: 10-26-2012 at 06:54 PM.
seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote