Old
10-26-2012, 08:49 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebus View Post
That's pretty generous.

Against the EC Karlsson was: 63gp, 16g, 49a, 65p, +19 (or 1.03 ppg)
Against the WC Karlsson was: 18gp, 3g, 10a, 13p, -3 or ( or .72 ppg)

If you were to reverse those numbers (i.e. reverse the Conference) he'd have about 64 points with fewer goals and a much worse +/-. But lets ignore the +/- for now because I do agree that Karlsson would perform much better defensively in Hitchcock's system.

I would argue, however, that Karlsson would have trouble even cracking 60 points because of the nature of the play in the conference, size (not quality, but size) of the key players and the fact that many coaches in the WC wouldn't give him anywhere near the offensive license that he's had in Ottawa.

Regardless of stats I don't think anyone is going to argue that Karlsson would put up the same number of points in St. Louis, LA, or Nashville and I also don't think that anyone is going to argue that his defense is on par with Doughty, Weber, Chara, Pietrangelo etc. So now you have a defenseman who is 'at best' average defensively putting up great, but not insane, numbers and not killing penalites. Would he even be a Norris finalist in the Western Conference? And yes, I do think if Drew Doughty or Alex Pietrangelo, or Keith Yandle or Duncan Keith played in Ottawa they would have much better numbers… maybe not 78 points but who cares because they're all superior defensively to Erik Karlsson.

I'm not saying that this should have played into Norris voting because it's all hypothetical but Karlsson fans shouldn't be upset that most, even casual fans on this board (and THN) can factor these types of considerations into their subjective opinion without looking at stats etc.

But in the end I guess it all comes down to if you think Karlsson is terrible, below average or average defensively and what type of player you appreciate for that position. I personally think Karlsson is awful, not average, but awful defensively and believe that when evaluating elite defensmen AT LEAST 50% of your evaluation should relate to their defensive abilities.
Pietrangelo had a PPG of 0.56 vs. ECF and 0.65 vs. the WCF.

Doughty's PPG was the same for both conferences, at 0.47.

Employing the same logic you used, I don't see either guy making out like a bandit against teams in the ECF. Where's the consistency in this massive discrepancy that you are alluding to?

Looking at the stats, it just drives home further the offensive advantage that Karlsson brings to bear, and is a good additional consideration to keep in mind when looking at the stats to go beyond subjective opinion.

Interestingly, in the previous season, Karlsson PPG vs. the WCF was 0.63 and it was 0.59 against the ECF.

But that's what's fun about cherry picking stats.

Last edited by NyQuil: 10-26-2012 at 09:01 PM.
NyQuil is online now   Reply With Quote