View Single Post
Old
10-26-2012, 10:43 PM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
I don't know who the 'last word on sports' is but saying that the cupboard is bare just tells me that he/they don't really know what they're talking about when it comes to prospects.

The Sharks, as of now, do rank in the bottom 10 when it comes to prospects. That really shouldn't surprise anyone when you consider where they've been drafting.

I'm not sre what constitutes "true talent" but the Sharks don't have a Crosby, Pietrangelo or Stamkos in their system. If by true talent they meant any blue chip prospects - that's mostly true. I still think if Hertl can fix his skating he'll get there though.

The Sharks do have several d-men that could develop into top 4 d-men, they have a couple of goalies who could develop into NHLers as well. They also have a few forwards with top 6 upside and several with top 9 or NHL upside.

It's easier to be accurate when ranking individual prospects but when it comes to people ranking teams "systems", unless someone is watching every single prospect w/i a teams system (preferably live) on a pretty regular basis, the opinion they give you isn't really their own - it's a combo of their viewings, counting stats and likely a lot info/opinions they get from others.
It was the guy from this site:
http://lastwordonsports.com/2012/08/...n-jose-sharks/

It was his opinion that outside of Hertl, we got nothing. Nieto was a longshot at best and the rest were 3rd & 4th liners and 5-6 defensemen at best. Ignored the goalies too--probably because they're so hard to project.