View Single Post
Old
10-27-2012, 12:22 AM
guest1467

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRays View Post
Clearly you don't understand 'markets'. Comparing goalie trades - or any trade- to ones that happened pre-lockout (04/05) aren't comparable. They were different times. It was a different league. Not to mention it was 8+ yrs ago.
Once again, taking caps into the equation when they are ridiculously insignificant is a horrible way to bolster your argument.

The poster asked for recent trades of 'top' goalies, I provided 4 goalies of equivalent skill that happened within the last two decades or so. All of which received very modest returns.

Quote:
Giguere is the only goalie who you say is 'elite' that was traded in last few yrs. Unfortunately, he was not elite at the time he was traded. He was 3 yrs removed from respectable #'s and told the media "I'd rather retire than be a backup". He would bring the equivalent value if the Oilers traded Khabilbulin today - which we all know is nothing.
Listen, the point isn't to find a carbon copy-identical case for Luongo, because that would be wholly impossible. The point was to show a general framework of the market for 'top goalies.' This can even be extended when you take out the requirement of being a 'top' goalie. For the last twenty years, goalies have not ever fetched high returns. Go ahead and look at the post-lockout if you actually feel like that is a legitimate variable, the results will be the same.

Hell, look at what Luongo has retrieved in the past: Parrish and Kvasha, and a damaged goods Bertuzzi and Allen. Not much of a return there either.

Quote:
There is no chance that there will ever be a surplus of goalies on the market. Technically, there are only 2 goalie positions on each team. That is the smallest # of roster spots for any position in the league. So by #'s alone, it's not ever going to be possible. When you filter the # of high end goalies from the already small sample size - 'impossible' is my answer.
Haha, and you mock me for 'not understanding markets.'

The fact that there is only 2 goalie positions on each team is exactly why there is a surplus of goalies, which is directly correlated to why their value is so low. There are a plethora of goalies available in free agency that are cheap to sign, which drives the price of goalies down. There is also a plethora of goalies that are outside of the top 60 that are capable of being fit in starters.

This is the reason why you have a 24 year old goalie that performed Hasek-like in the playoffs get traded for only a top forward prospect. There are a number of options available to acquire a goalie for cheap that performs the same abilities ceteris paribus as the 'top goalies.' This is why you see random journeymen goaltenders lead teams to Stanley Cup Finals berths; and such a disparity year in and year out between SV%s, GAAs and Wins stats among goaltenders.

Quote:
If high end goalies are traded frequently in the last few yrs, how come you can't provide a list of them? Waiting...... waiting.....
I never said they were traded frequently, that would be a strawman; which makes the rest of this proposition completely irrelevant.