Thread: OT: Automobile Questions
View Single Post
Old
10-27-2012, 01:12 AM
BobbyFischer*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
If you go to www.carcomplaints.com and look at the worst vehicles of all time, the Intrepids with the 2.7L engine are all there. If you look at the worst engine failure complaints I lived through that... despite good oil maintenance habits.

This is why I am fascinated by the oil change discussion. I have owned the 1998 Intrepid which just had a poorly engineered engine which quit despite fresh oil. / Needed a new engine twice.

Then there is my brother, who is tight with the money to say the least, and he buys new cars and runs them to end-of-life while NEVER CHANGING THE OIL. He laughs that he "tops it up once in a while" but to my knowledge has never had an engine failure in all his years of car ownership (he's much older than I am at 59). I know that poor maintenance can lead to horsepower loss but does anyone care that their 10 year old car loses 20 ponies.

It has me thinking about how big a racket the lube business is and whether I should just run my cars to the ground and save money.

So in the car engineering vs car care argument I don't think it's a slam dunk. My brother vs. my Intrepid is always on my mind.

Having said that I maintain my oil schedule and call it a good investment.
"WARNING SIGNS THAT YOUR ENGINE WILL FAIL:

1. Problems with the heater not blowing hot air consistently.

2. Engine starting on fire.

3. Sludge build-up in the timing chain compartment. Oil changes will NOT fix this problem.

SOME OWNERS HAVE FOUND OUT THAT YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST USE A SYNTHETIC OIL CAPABLE OF WITHSTANDING HIGH TEMPERATURES IN ORDER FOR YOUR ENGINE NOT TO FAIL. CHRYSLER DIDN'T TELL US THIS. NEITHER DID OUR DEALER."

from http://intrepidhorrorstories.blogspot.ca/

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote