View Single Post
Old
12-07-2003, 06:29 PM
Corey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
J.S. is technically more sound than Theodore. Unlike Theodore, Giguerre has shown he can do it in the post-season. Unlike Theodore, his teammates like him. Real problem with J.S. now is that he carries a similar price tag.

If you don't think Blackburn will have a better pro career than Theo, then you haven't been watching carefully, imo. He's 5 years younger (or more?) and he's got all the tools.

As for the GM crack, it's worth considering that Gainey is building a team to compete perhaps three years from now. We need to be paying our goalie 5 million a year as much as we need to sign Audette long term. I'd rather have two guys sharing the load like they have in Minny, rather than a guy busy selling cake and hanging with the Angels in east end Montreal bunkers. But that's just me.

And finally, I didn't mention guys like Hasek (and other goalies who are clearly better than Theodore) because they wouldn't make sense for this team anyway. Whether Theo's really the "top ten goalie" others claim is another debate.
Giguere's downfall has been the NHL's rulings on oversize goalie pads. He can't play as the Michelin Man any more. As for Hasek, why is his record so unimpressive? He's over the hill. Théo will be only 30 three years from now, the same age as Brodeur. He could play well into his 30s and be considered part of the Habs' future for years to come. Goalies last longer than forwards. You will see most of the present Habs forwards retire before him.