Thread: Value of: Schneider to Edmonton
View Single Post
Old
10-27-2012, 01:09 PM
Cogburn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Luongo is 33 and getting worse every season. The Oilers core is, on average, 21 years old and getting significantly better every season.

Putting Luongo on the Oilers in 2012 makes them better at a time they can't possibly win (teenagers don't win Stanley Cups). Unfortunately, it also makes them substantially worse when they are ready to compete; with $5.3 million in cap space tied up in an aging (likely mediocre by that time) goaltender and key assets like Hemsky and a first squandered.

For all the flack Steve Tambellini takes on these boards, he'd have to be operating at a Jay Feaster level of incompetence to make that deal. Call me an optimist but I don't think he's that dumb.
I can understand no wanting Luongo for other reasons listed, the length for a team that will have to be resigning RNH, Schultz, Yakupov and other young pieces may not want Luongo and his cap hit long term, that's why I wanted to see what Schneider would return.

The bolded however is just wrong. You don't have to take him based on the stats, but that statement is incorrect. All of his stats, last year included, and his play in general, are a little up and down, but are all grouped together pretty consistently. If you don't want to take my word for it, here:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=1050

He's getting older, and his contract is long, but in no way is his play getting worse year by year.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote